The planet is doomed and we’re all going to die. That’s more or less what the Environmental Left said after President Elect Donald Trump announced Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt as his pick to lead the U.S Environmental Protection Agency. But don’t just take our word for it. Here is what the greens actually said!
1. Earthjustice: There Will Be More Cancer and Asthma with Pruitt in Charge
“[Pruitt] has fought Environmental Protection Agency pollution limits on toxic substances like soot and mercury that put us all at risk for increased cancer, childhood asthma and other health problems. He falsely claims that fracking doesn’t contaminate drinking water supplies.”
—Trip Van Noppen, President of Earthjustice
2. League of Conservation Voters: Pruitt Puts “Millions of Americans’ Health in Danger”
— LCV (@LCVoters) December 8, 2016
3. Massachusetts Senator Agrees with LCV
— Ed Markey (@SenMarkey) December 7, 2016
More hot air from Beantown.
4. Former Obama Advisor Calls Pruitt an “Existential Threat to the Planet”
At the risk of being dramatic. Scott Pruitt at EPA is an existential threat to the planet
— Dan Pfeiffer (@danpfeiffer) December 7, 2016
Dan Pfeiffer is a former senior advisor to President Obama. He also is being dramatic.
5. Scott Pruitt Is Totally Like Mel Gibson in Israel or Something
Making a climate-change denier + Big Oil crony like Scott Pruitt head of the EPA is like making Mel Gibson ambassador to Israel.
— Rick Reilly (@ReillyRick) December 9, 2016
6. Bette Midler Calls Pruitt a “Disaster” Who Will Actually “Kill Us”
Seriously. #ScottPruitt for EPA is a disaster we’ll never recover from. Arrogance and ignorance, a deadly combination, will kill us.
— Bette Midler (@BetteMidler) December 8, 2016
We’ll never recover, folks. It’s over.
7. “Make America Gasp Again!”
“[Trump] can, for example, bring us back to the days when, all too often, the air wasn’t safe to breathe. And he’s made a good start by selecting Scott Pruitt, a harsh foe of pollution regulation, to head the Environmental Protection Agency. Make America gasp again!”
—Paul Krugman, economist and New York Times columnist
8. Rhode Island Senator Says Pruitt Has “Disdain” for Public Health
— Sheldon Whitehouse (@SenWhitehouse) December 7, 2016
This is our shocked face.
9. Did You Know Scott Pruitt Is the Only Reason We Keep Using Fossil Fuels?
Climate change denier Scott Pruitt has worked with fossil fuel companies to make us more dependent on fossil fuels. https://t.co/ipXhImrXFY
— Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) December 7, 2016
This tweet brought to you by the wonderful world of electricity.
10. A “Swamp Thing” Who Came in Like a Wrecking Ball
“Nominating [Pruitt] to lead the agency that protects our air, water and climate from pollution is like putting the Swamp Thing in charge of draining the swamp. Any Senator who doesn’t fight this nomination is handing corporate polluters a wrecking ball to destroy our future.”
—Kassie Siegel, Center for Biological Diversity
11. Discredited Professor Says Pruitt Will “Kill More Americans”
— Mark Z. Jacobson (@mzjacobson) December 8, 2016
Thank goodness for tenure, right professor?
12. Earthworks Says Pruitt’s Beliefs on Global Warming Put “Millions of Lives in Danger”
— EARTHWORKS (@Earthworks) December 7, 2016
Another wild claim from Earthworks. Remember this one?
13. Pruitt Is the “Worst Thing” Ever and the “Whole Country Is in Danger”
“It’s the worst thing in the history of our environment! We are in danger. The whole country is in danger. Our kids are in danger.”
—Garvin Isaacs, President of the Oklahoma Bar Association
14. Hollywood Issues a Warning to President Millard Fillmore
Scott Pruitt’s nomination to head the EPA offers incontrovertible proof that Trump wants to rollback enviro regs to the 50’s. The 1850’s.
— ABFoundation (@ABFalecbaldwin) December 7, 2016
Jack Donaghy has “incontrovertible” proof, you guys.
15. Hot Take! Sierra Club Compares Pruitt to an “Arsonist”
“Having Scott Pruitt in charge of the EPA is like putting an arsonist in charge of fighting fires” – @bruneski
— Sierra Club (@sierraclub) December 7, 2016
Communications team must have nixed the “rubber and glue” statement.
16. Trump’s EPA Will “Wage War” and Put the “Climate in Peril”
“By appointing Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to head the Environmental Protection Agency, Donald Trump has made it clear that he intends to wage war on clean air and clean water. Trump has also put our climate in peril and shown he is out of step with the American people”
—Benjamin Schreiber, Friends of Earth